- Established. - There is a Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute in the University of Maryland.
- The head of the Institute is the Director.
- The Director:
- Shall report directly to the President of the University of Maryland at College Park; and
- May adopt rules and regulations necessary to carry out this section.
- Duties of Institute. - The Institute shall:
- Provide classroom education and training for career and volunteer fire and rescue personnel, both at the Institute and throughout this State;
- Cooperate with other agencies that provide training for fire and rescue personnel;
- Train instructors;
- Prepare or adopt materials for training fire and rescue personnel;
- Develop new fire and rescue training techniques;
- Develop and implement specialized courses in fire fighting, including industrial fire fighting;
- Maintain statistics and records on fire and rescue education, training, and related matters;
- Develop programs to inform the public about the tasks performed by fire and rescue personnel;
- Establish guidelines for instructional material to school systems in the State concerning fire and rescue education;
- Provide disaster training for fire and rescue personnel; and
- Cooperate with the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems to provide basic training for rescue personnel and emergency medical technicians.